Sunday, May 8, 2011

Resilience

I was absent on the class day when we received "Get a Grip and Set Your Sights Above Adversity".  This is an article about resilience by Jane E. Brody.

I found this article to be very interesting.  I never really though much about the meaning of resilience, but it is a very important aspect of ones mental health.  Resilience is basically the ability to cope with stresses and setbacks in your life, and turn negative experiences into positive ones.  The key to having resilience is being able to focus on what you can control in your life.  If one puts all of their energy into changing something that they have no influence on, then their life will feel helpless and hopeless.  A quote that I really enjoyed from the article was "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference."  I agree that trying to decide what things you have the control over can sometimes be difficult.  Often one may really desire to change something that they simply cannot. 

Some important steps to gain resilience: -know that you are the author of your own life. -identify your negative scripts and assume responsibility for changing them. -nurture your self esteem. -develop a new skill.  -shed people or activities that are no longer satisfying or efficient. -don't be afraid of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment